Board of Selectmen
Town of Tolland
MINUTES OF SELECTMEN MEETING – June 13, 2014 5:00 PM
Selectmen Present: Eric R. Munson, Jr., Steven DellaGiustina and Thomas Paine
Also Present: Charles Whiting (Chip)
Ed Deming Jean Jinks
Gloria Gery Eric Munson, III
Minutes of the previous meeting were read and accepted.
Eric made motion to set the Camp Permit fee for Fiscal 2016 to $300/year and the Bathing Beach Fee to $75 per beach per year. Steve seconded.
Ed updated Chip on outstanding outside details. The majority of Chip’s outstanding list had been paid. Ed informed Chip that he has billed WMECO for $3,040.00 and that there is one other which was for 8 hours of time and that will also be resolved. Chip is satisfied.
Eric representing the Bonadies Field Exploratory Committee presented the board with their recommendation. The committee recommended that the Selectboard move forward with the purchase of the property. The committee felt that the greatest reason for the purchase would be to “preserve the center of town”. Whitney will be asked to attend the next Selectboard’s meeting.
Gloria Gery and Jean Jinks discussed issues with the Tolland Tattler and website.
Goals and Policies
- To maintain all three communications vehicles as the formal communications arm of Elected and Appointed Officials, Departments, Committee Chairs, Public Schools and Organizations that are an integral part of the Town of Tolland. Examples of included community organizations or those that serve the Tolland community are Ladies Aid, Tolland Volunteer Fire Department, Granville-Tolland Dollars for Scholars, Tolland Congregational Church services listing, Southwick Food Pantry, Granville-Tolland Lion’s Club, Lee Visiting Nurse Association, Veteran’s Agent, Pioneer Valley Planning Council. Other organizations may be approved by the Board of Selectmen.
- To inform citizens about Official Notices, Emergency Conditions, Department and Committee news and news/events that promotes a sense of community and citizenship among citizens. Obituaries which appear in public newspapers will be included when the Tattler editor and Web Director are informed of them. One-time business opening/closing of retail or service establishments or markets, etc. may be permitted when it is deemed the overall community would benefit from the information (e.g. new grocery store or farmers’ market opening in Tolland or neighboring towns). Neighboring towns include Granville, Sandisfield, Otis and Blandford.
- To prohibit items of a political, religious, or personal opinion nature; business promotion, private employment or club/homeowners association news is also prohibited. Letters to the editor or community may only be published with prior approval by the Board of Selectmen.
- To publish a single version of the Tolland Tattler and strictly maintain the budgeted 12-page format of the printed Tattler with priority given to Town of Tolland items. Information about neighboring town events or news will be published on a “space-available” basis only. To maintain the absolute date for submitting items for publication in the Tattler (20th of the month) to assure timely printing and distribution of the printed Tattler.
- To provide a defined space for personal news posted by Tolland citizens through a strictly enforced 30-character listing within the Tattler. Examples include marriages, births, congratulations, accomplishments. These notices may include link addresses to websites or facebook pages. No medical information, commercial, sales or fundraising news will be permitted unless specifically approved by the Board of Selectmen. If appropriateness is questioned, the Board of Selectmen will approve/disapprove.
The Board of Selectmen voted unanimously on the following budget transfers:
$3,500 Interest on Loans
$2,963 Workers Comp Insurance
$300 Good Will Gifts
$492.83 Selectmens Expense
$446.48 Town Records Restoration
$250.00 Planning Board Expense
$100.00 Zoning Board of Appeals
$90.00 Health Dept Expense
$2,097.84 Town Ins & Officers Bonds
$8,000 Assessors Clerk
$200.00 Furn & Equip
The Finance Committee will meet to vote to transfer $4,500 from Reserve Fund
$2,815 Board of Health Agent
$176.64 Office Supplies
$1,435.53 Health Insurance
Meeting adjourned at 7:30PM
Eric R. Munson, Jr.
Board of Selectmen