THE 2008 NEWSLETTER OF THE GTCSF / THE YEAR IN REVIEW
On behalf of all the volunteers and scholarship recipients of the Granville-Tolland Citizens’ Scholarship Foundation (GTCSF), our heartfelt thanks to all of you for your generosity in supporting the Foundation’s ongoing work. Here are the 2008 highlights:
- Awarded $20,700 to 27 undergraduate students from our two towns. Scholarships ranged from $530 to $1,000 based upon financial need, merit, and history of community service.
- The Foundation continues to maintain very low administrative/fund-raising costs – 8% of annual income. This means 92 cents of every dollar donated goes to student scholarships. A typical U.S. charity has administrative/fundraising costs of 30% or higher. We are proud of our low expense ratio and continue to look to reduce it further even a we expand our donor base. Our parent organization, Scholarship America, is given an A+ rating by the American Institute of Philanthropy, a watchdog organization (charitywatch.org), for exceptionally low administrative/fund-raising costs. Our all-volunteer chapter structure allows us to achieve this coveted status among the nation’s non-profit
- Thanks to the ongoing generosity of the Granville Village School’s teachers and staff, GTCSF scholarship recipients continue to be beneficiaries of the school’s Dress-Down Days fundraiser.
- We participated in Granville’s ’08 Harvest Fair by providing a joust for kids and families. We wish to thank the following GTCSF Sponsors for their generous support: Jerome’s Taylor Rental/Party Plus, Humphrey’s Garage, Pat’s Greenhouse, John & Mark Beckman, Feeding Hills Veterinary Hospital, Paul Falcetti - Rock Solid Stoneworks, Ernie Sattler Construction, Anonymous, and Brian Falcetti Custom Building & Remodeling.
- The 4th Annual Rockathon was held in November ’08. Thirty students participated in the all night Rockathon raising over $ 1,500. Along with our gratitude to our corporate sponsors, we want to acknowledge a special thanks to the following local sponsors: The Tolland Selectmen, Gran-Val Scoop, Albert & Amelia Ferst Operating Foundation, Blandford Ski Area, Bickford’s Family Restaurant, Cove Bowling & Miniature Golf, National Amusements, Majestic Theatre, McDonalds, Big Y, & Geissler’s Supermarket.
We hope you are pleased with the Foundation’s ongoing progress in providing financially meaningful aid to our
towns’ undergraduates. We will continue to work to earn your trust and support.