Tolland Public Library
Board of Trustees
Meeting Minutes: April 28, 10`5
Present: Trustees: Penny Babbitt, Gloria Gery, Jackie Bitso, and Jessica Kelmelis, Library Director
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Chair, Gloria Gery at 9:00 a.m.
Minutes: Minutes of the September 2, 2014 Trustees meeting were approved as read.
- Available Funds: $1265 is available in donated funds, largely from Aetna Foundation Volunteer Grants paid through Penny Babbitt and Gloria Gery.
- Expenditures from donated and grant funds: A high quality printer/scanner/copier was installed at the beginning of the year and is fully operational. It is available to library patrons for personal use through their computers/phones. Instructions on performing each function are posted. No patron documents will be stored on library computers.
- Donation: A blue printer table with shelf storage for paper was donated by Gloria and Bob Gery and is in use.
- Other Needs: There are no other immediate needs for these donated funds and they will be maintained on account until a need emerges. It is possible that the sofa and reading chairs might be replaced. It is also possible that these funds might be applied in the future toward initial set up for the CW MARS Mini Network under consideration by the Library. Fixing the angled sign pole was discussed and Jessica will attempt volunteer support for fixing it. In addition, it was decided that a sign listing hours below the library sign would be subject to damage due to high winds and it will not be purchased.
- Removal of unused/non-working equipment. All obsolete, broken and unused equipment (copiers, PC’s and printers) have been removed from the Library.
- Library Building:
- Repairs: All three library doors (including basement) are rotting and not secure. The Town’s 2015 buildings and equipment budget provided for $3711.71 to replace the three doors and install secure locks and rekey the building. The work is scheduled for completion by Robert Sullivan of Granville MA by June 30, 2015. The door facing Route 57 will have nine lights (windows) and improve internal lighting.
- Long Term Planning – Library Exterior. The Library sills, windows and siding require major renovations and replacements. The 2016 Town Budget includes an estimate of $30,000 to reside the building and $12,000 to replace windows. A single estimate was provided by Robert Sullivan of Granville to the Board of Selectmen for budgeting purposes. The Board of Trustees will request additional estimates from the Selectmen.
Three types of siding are under consideration: Cement Board, Cedar Siding and Vinyl Siding. Concern was expressed about the appearance of vinyl siding. It is an attractive alternative in that it doesn’t have to be painted. Jessica will look at samples of the siding and, if appropriate, will convene a Trustees meeting to review the siding and make recommendations to the Selectmen.
The Library renovation project is subject to a debt exclusion vote that will be held at the May 27, 2015 Annual Town Meeting.
- Library Network Membership. Jessica recommends that Tolland join the CWMARS mini-network which will provide a full digital materials registration and circulation, electronic library cards, online direct ordering of materials by patrons and more frequent delivery of materials to the library. Initial estimates are for an up to $4,000 set up with annual fees of $3,000. CWMARS is anxious to have small libraries sign up and grants are available for annual fees. Jessica will explore membership and make recommendations during 2015-16. One of the major reasons to proceed is that currently all downloaded e-books, etc. are credited to other libraries; traditional book and video circulation materials are declining and it will be important to accurately reflect Tolland Library activity in statistics to continue state
- State Funds to Library: $873.55 in first half State funds was received and will, over time, be used for materials acquisition.
- Trustee Election: Jackie Bitso was nominated at the April 27, 2015 Town Caucus for a three year term as Library Trustee to be voted on at June 2016 town elections.
- Library Regionalization: A discussion was held about this as an option. It was determined that there would be little efficiency or cost savings and would risk the Tolland Library being buried in a larger system. No further consideration is necessary.
- Tattler News and Notices Library Report: Jessica will continue these reports and is pleased that she is not limited to monthly print deadlines; more timely announcements can be published. A Trustees Report was also published on News and Notices in fourth quarter 2014.
- 2016 Budget: Library budget was, as in the past, level funded in the proposed new budget.
Next Meeting: Friday, September 11, 2015 at 9 AM at the Library
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 10:02 AM
Gloria Gery, Trustee and Chair