Tolland Public Library
Board of Trustees
Meeting Minutes: June 29, 2011
Present: Penny Babbitt, Gloria Gery, Jessica Kelmelis, Librarian. Absent: Jackie Bitso
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Penny Babbitt at 1:25 p.m.
Aetna Grants and Donations:
- Aetna Volunteer Grant monies are identified in a special account to be used for Air Conditioning and Landscaping (see below).
- Private donations are also separately identified for use.
- These monies may be spent at the discretion of the Library Director and Trustees and are separate from town budget dollars. Expenditure does not require town or Selectmen approval.
Air Conditioning and Building Insulation:
- In assessing energy expenditures for 2012 budget it was determined that the Library building was not sufficiently insulated and uses excessive energy. Insulation was blown into the attic. Insulation batting was installed in the basement to increase energy retention. Expenditures were made in fiscal year 2011 from the Library’s budget.
- Jessica will work with Wayne Carr to purchase a window air conditioning unit to be installed by the end of July. Aetna Volunteer Grant funds will be used to purchase the air conditioner.
Landscaping: Jessica has worked up a landscaping plan for the front/south side of the building. Selectmen have requested a 3-foot distance to keep the exterior walls from excessive moisture. There will be 3 feet of lawn between plant materials and the parking areas. Weedstop material , gravel and mulch will be used to minimize weeding. Current plants will be removed and sod cuts completed in July. Alternatives were discussed. Gloria will visit nurseries with Jessica on July 8th to select plant materials which will be installed in July. A hose and holder will be purchased.
Aetna volunteer grants will be used.
Trustee resignation and appointment: Trustee Carolyn Locke has resigned as a trustee via a letter to the Selectmen. Carolyn was thanked for her service to the library. The Selectmen appointed Tolland resident, Jackie Bitso, as a Library Trustee to fulfill Carolyn’s remaining term through May 2012.
New Computer: Private donations will be used to replace an aging and slow computer. Computer use by patrons continues, especially in the summer months. Two computers are sufficient.
- eBook availability through the Libraryi was discussed. While there is currently no demand, it was felt that patrons might utilize eBooks if available. The Tolland Library is not a full (i.e. Lending Member) of CWMARS so their eBook subscription is not available to our patrons. It was determined that the effort to electronically catalog Tolland’s books is not appropriate given the size of our collection.
- Jessica will explore eBook availability through other libraries, Amazon, etc. and report on reasonable alternatives at the next Trustees meeting.
- If immediate action is appropriate, jessica will communicate through email for a policy or other vote.
2012 Library Budget: The Library budget was submitted as level-funded and accepted by the Selectmen.
Summer Activities: Bruce Mandell and John Root will present programs hosted by the Library this summer. Past attendance has been limited or nil. Jessica agreed to host these events that were accepted and paid for by the cultural council. If attendance does not warrant future financial or time expenditures, the Trustees will communicate with the Cultural Council about future Library hosting of the events. Artists and entertainers apply to the Cultural Council to present programs and the Cultural Council currently accepts the applications within their budget without prior involvement of the Library Director.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, September 9, 2011. 9:00 a.m. at the Tolland Public Library.
Gloria Gery, Trustee