Construction of Private Water Supply
Well Construction Permit and Approval Process
- Download Well Permit Application Form - Fillable Form
- Complete application and return to Health Department along with check fto the Town of Tolland for the fee made. Application and reviewed for completeness and additional requirements.
- Well Construction Permit issued or denied. If denied, changes may need to be made to the plan, and then the plan is resubmitted.
- After Well Construction Permit is issued, the well is constructed/installed by a Massachusetts-licensed well driller in accordance with applicable rules and regulations. Well is developed and disinfected.
- Certified laboratory services secured by owner or installer for water sample quality analysis, or Tolland Health Agent will select a laboratory. Well water samples are collected by driller and submitted to lab for analysis.
- Analytical results submitted to Tolland Health Agent.
- Within 30 days, the well driller or digger shall submit a signed well log/report to with requirement information to the Tolland Health Department. This report shall constitute the Certificate of Compliance with terms of the permit and all pertinent rules and regulations pertaining to the well installation.
- Tolland Health Department reviews the analytical results for compliance with applicable drinking water standards to determine the acceptability of the well for a potable water supply will be made and the well will be approved or disapproved for use accordingly.
- Applicant receives written Certification of Water Availability. If disapproved, treatment and/or retesting is required.