Finance Committee Minutes
February 14, 2008
The meeting was called to order by Chair, Ralph Ledger at 6:00 p.m. Present were: Ralph Ledger, Margaret McClellan, Mira Munson and Ted Locke. Absent was David Barney.
Margaret passed out several financial pieces:
- Departmental Expenditure Report as of 2/14/08
- The Assessors overlay excess report 2/5/08
- FY2009 Local Aid Estimates
- FY2009 Salaries proposed by Selectmen
- Capital Request from Department of Public Works
- Remaining Departmental Budgets for FY2009
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as presented and signed and filed with the Town Clerk.
The Committee then proceeded to review the departmental budgets that had come in since our last meeting. In general most budgets were level with last year and there were not any questions regarding requests. Areas where the Committee had questions are as follows:
- DPW Budget – what are plans for $30,000 increase? Questions on satellite request in Tech budget.
- Fire Dept. – questions on military vehicles, insurance for same, defibrillator – in 08 budget also – why was it not purchased ?
- Police – a few questions
- For Jessica and Sue – why request for reval dropped in ‘09
- Trash Budget – where is it?
In reviewing the Tech Budget, changes were made that dropped the total to $12,190.06.
Questions about insurance were answered by Margaret – the increase in town insurance and bonds reflect insurance on new rescue truck, insurance for truck in DPW capital request, and insurance for Bob’s military trucks if used on the road. Margaret agreed to drop the health insurance increase from a 15% increase to a 7% increase until we have a real figure.
Margaret reported that the Selectmen would like to meet with the Finance Committee before they meet with some of the Department Heads. The meeting with the Selectmen was scheduled for February 25, 2008 at 6:00 p.m.
Ted Locke reported that at this point with fairly firm numbers, it looks as though the Regional School Budget will reflect a 9.89% increase for Tolland and an 8% increase for Southwick. Ted reported that he had talked to a lawyer and that we could put the increase to an override vote. He felt we should do this. A short discussion followed but since we have not received any official letter regarding the school budget, Ralph felt we should wait for official notification to the Town before any decisions were made.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Mira K. Munson
Secretary, Finance Committee