- Conducts the annual town census.
- Prepares the street list of residents and the school list.
- Furnishes the jury list to the Office of the Jury Commissioner.
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment and voting lists.
- Administers campaign finance laws.
- Certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions.
- Serves on the local Board of Registrars.
- Supervises voter registration and absentee ballots preparation/distribution
- Prepares, records and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
· Issues state licenses and permits, including:
· Marriage licenses
· Permits for raffles and bazaars
Issues local licenses, permits, and certificates as mandated by statute or bylaw, which include:
- Business certificates
- Dog Licenses
- Kennel License
Local Boards and Committees:
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local boards and committees.
- Informs in writing all elected and appointed officials about the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws.
- Posts meetings notices of all government bodies.
Official Decisions and Duties:
- Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including:
- Town Meeting legislation and appropriations
- Planning Board and Board of Appeal decisions
- Certifies all notes for borrowing.
- Keeper of the Town Seal
- Records state tax liens filings.
- Provides access to public records to comply with Massachusetts General Law.
- Certifies copies of all town records.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records
- Provides input to the Massachusetts central vital registration system.
- Provides certified copies of vital records. Conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public.
- Responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, general bylaws and zoning bylaws, resignations, appointments, petitions, publications, budgets, election results and town meeting minutes and financial statements.
- Submits general bylaws and zoning bylaws to Attorney General for approval.
- Maintains the Annual List of Residents.