Tolland Public Library
Computer and Internet Use Policy
PUBLIC ACCESS COMPUTERS AT THE TOLLAND PUBLIC LIBRARY
· Computers are for use by any patron of the library.
· All users must sign in at the beginning of any session on any of the computers.
· Patrons are allowed one half hour of usage. Time may be extended if no other users are waiting.
· Computer time can be reserved by signing the time card in advance.
· Reservations will be cancelled after the patron is five minutes tardy.
· Patrons may not download, install, uninstall or modify any software to the computer hard drive. Software may be downloaded to the patron’s portable flash drive.
· Patrons may not add, remove or change any hardware to computesr or printers except for a portable flash drive to access or save files,
· No files may be saved to the computer’s hard drive.
INTERNET ACCESS AND WIRELESS
All public access computers are wired for satellite internet access. When using the internet
PATRONS MAY NOT:
· Download material or email to the computer’s hard drive.
· Set up email accounts within any locally installed software such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.
· Access pornographic material
· Make or attempt to make any changes to the software or the settings of the computer.
· Falsely represent yourself as another person for the purposes of fraud or illegal activity
· Download material to a preformatted disk or memory stick.
· Print material at a cost of $.05 per page.
· Access email through the Web using personal webmail accounts.
Access to the internet is offered to the general public by wireless connection. Anyone, registered patron or not, may use the wireless access with their own computers with no time limit.
The Library staff will help with any technical issues to the best of their ability but is not to be viewed as technical support.
The Tolland Public Library can not limit access to instant messaging, chat rooms or other personal websites such as myspace.com. It is the responsibility of parents to provide guidance and monitoring for their children.
Approved by Tolland Public Library Trustees on July 1, 2007