Finance Committee Meeting
Town of Tolland, MA
March 23, 2011
The Finance Committee was called to order at 6:10 P.M. by the Chair, Ralph Ledger.
In attendance were: Ralph Ledger, Margaret McClellan, Mira Munson, Ted Locke, and Cathy Parzych. The minutes of the March 16, 2011 meeting of the Tolland Finance Committee were read, accepted, signed and given to the Town Clerk.
Eric Munson, III, Police Chief and Bob Littlefield were not able to come to this meeting, Eric due to training he had to take. There was short notification of this meeting.
Jessica Kelmelis was able to attend. She reported that her budget reflects a 3year average plus 2 and 1/2%. She passed out handouts that gave us a more detailed account of her budget than was on the budget form plus handouts that explained minimum standards for Director Personnel and Hours Open and state aid determination standards etc.
It was reported in recent information given to the Finance Committee that the Library cost more to heat in the past year than the Town Hall. This was discussed briefly. Jessica reported that the Library temperature was kept at 68 degrees all week. She also reported that an air conditioner was being purchased for the building.
Margaret passed out an updated version of the FY 2012 Budget. Changes or additions included:
- #4 Snow and Ice - $42,000 left in this year’s budget to be used for tree work
- #5 Buildings and Grounds – the amount was increased to accommodate cleaning of the new building and a new mowing contract.
- #7 Salaries – reflects a 3% increase and the subject has not been addressed by the Selectmen yet. Ralph felt we should make a recommendation to the Selectmen even though they said they would handle salaries. No conclusions reached.
- #20 and # 39 animal inspector expenses – Joanne Duval went over her budget with the Selectmen and she asked for a salary of $500.00 for animal inspector (min. required by the State) and $250 for animal control. Expenses included a $750 rabies shot due this year.
- #37 Tax Title was down $4,000.00
Margaret also passed out a salary worksheet that reflected the impact of 2% and 3% raises on the budget.
Margaret reported that the Superintendent of the Regional School invited the Selectmen and the Finance Committee to a Budget Meeting in Southwick on March 31, 2011 at 4:00 P.M.
It was decided to invite Eric Munson, III and Bob Littlefield to our next meeting on April 4, 2011at 6:00 P.M. The meeting was then adjourned.
Respectfully submitted, Mira Munson, Secretary