Finance Committee Meeting
March 16, 2011
6:00 p.m. at the Tolland Town Hall
Attendance: Ralph Ledger, Chair, Mira Munson, Secretary, Margaret McClellan, Treasurer, Ted Locke and Cathy Paarzych.
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Ralph Ledger, Chair. The minutes of March 17, 2010 and March 31, 2010 were approved and given to the Town Clerk for filing.
Margaret gave us several handouts and an explanation of what they were:
FY 2012 budget requests and estimated income
FY 2011 expenses to date
Dept budget requests recently handed in
FY 2012 estimates for all town buildings for utilities (including new Safety Complex and taking into account higher fuel prices in FY 2012)
Projected long term debt on new building after USDA Loan is issued and projected capital debt for past purchases (including payoff of one debt in FY 2012)Capital expenses would end in 2015.
The Committee then went through the FY 12 Dept. expense requests #’s 1 – 52 to see if they felt there might questions that would require the Dept. Head to meet with the Finance Committee and explain their budget request. We decided we needed to meet with the Fire Chief, the Police Chief, and the Librarian at our next meeting. Margaret agreed to call them. The committee reached consensus on the following:
- Using $5.00 per gallon for diesel and $4.00 per gallon for heating oil and for unleaded gasoline for FY 2012 as was projected by the Selectmen
- Putting the Tattler on line only with copies available at the Town Hall (at 5 cents per sheet for those who don’t have computers.) It was suggested that we put ads on the internet and still charge for them.
Comments made that we should keep in mind as we go through the budgets again:
- Ted felt there might be a ballot question for the member towns in the STRSD regarding the new building projects in Southwick This might increase the Elections Budget.
- Tech increase reflects 5 copies of update to Microsoft and computer replacement
- We will need two audits in succession due to our loan from USDA . We have enough money set aside plus money in FY2012 request to pay for two audits.
- Worker’s Comp is down because past claims are finished
- Salaries reflect a 3% increase and will be decided by the Selectmen
- Insurance and bonds reflects new building.
The next meeting of the Committee was set for March 23, 2011 at 6:00p.m. at the Town Hall.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Mira Munson, Secretary