Town of Tolland
March 17, 2010
The Finance Committee Meeting was called to order on March 17, 2010 at 9:00 a.m.
In attendance were: Ralph Ledger, Mira Munson, Kathy Paarzych, Margaret McClellan, and Ted Locke.
First we dealt with budgets that had not been turned in at our previous meeting.
#3 Public Works – Wayne had reduced the budget to $89,650 and the Committee decided to leave it at the previous year’s total of $93,701. More detail was requested and a meeting with Wayne. The Committee would like the DPW plan.
Margaret presented some new information:
- Insurance for the new building would add $1393 for this year.
- Margaret was going to ask if she could go through the school system in Southwick for Health Insurance. Mia, our present provider would be $17, 044 for 2010 and Berkshire Health used by Southwick would be $14,051.
- It was decided that when we get firm figures on the roof and chimney for Town Hall, this would be a Capital Expense.
- Lawn Care at $7,700. Margaret reported that the Selectmen were discussing whether the Town should take this back. The Finance Committee discussed whether the DPW really had time for this with all the work they should be doing.
- Cindy, who cleans the Town Hall, requested via a letter a raise in her hourly wage. No decision was made on her request at this time.
We started to discuss the Police Dept. Budget again and decided we needed to meet with the Police Chief, the Fire Chief and the DPW supervisor at our next meeting.
We held another discussion on capital expense versus Debt exclusion and didn’t reach a definite conclusion though the general feeling of the committee seemed to be for capital expense as it was a open and above board and a clear plan whereas debt exclusion would allow us to spend more in our budget ( as it would not be calculated in 21/2) but we would include debt exclusion costs in our tax rate.
WE reviewed the Fire Dept. Budget and had several questions:
- How many firemen currently? How many Junior Firemen?
- Software update?
- Rescue boat maintenance?
- Books – State Library?
- Upgrade software maintenance – move to technology?
It was announced that the Budget Hearing would be April 27, 2010.
We decided to invite Wayne, Bob and Eric III to our next meeting to review their budgets
Our next meeting was scheduled for March 31, 2010 at 9:00 a.m.
Mira K. Munson, Secretary