Town of Tolland
February 17, 2010
Attendance: Margaret McClellan, Mira Munson, Ralph Ledger, and Kathy Paarzych. Ted Locke was absent.
The meeting was called to order by Ralph Ledger,Chair, at 9:00 a.m. The minutes of the previous two meetings were read and accepted by the Committee and given to the Town Clerk.
Margaret passed out a current expenditures report on all departments for the Committee to review. She then gave copies to the Committee of all proposed 2010-2011 budgets that were received on time. Several budgets including key ones were not received on time. The Committee set out to review all the budgets submitted. Most were level funded as requested. The Committee noted a few questions/comments/recommendations as it progressed through the budgets:
- #12 Town Ins. and Bonds was down despite a 5% increase in property and casualty Ins. due to incorrect budgeting in 2009-2010.
- #15 Health Insurance – The Committee advised bringing this item down to $13,385.04 and not budgeting for the possibility that another person will want insurance. A special Town Meeting could be held if this need occurred.
- #16 The Committee advised changing this from $4,000 to $3800 closer to the actual number needed.
- #23 Audit – We can omit this item (put in $1.00) as we will not do an actual audit until 2014 for 2013 so we have 3 years to budget for the next audit beginning in 2011-2012.
- #26 Police Dept. – The police chief recommended salaries but we had asked departments not to do this so we did not deal with the salaries recommendations at this meeting. The Committee had several questions to be addressed when we meet with some of the Dept. Heads – Why an ATV without community policing money? Why a gun , gun rack and gun safe? Perhaps cut furniture by $350.
- #30 Tattler – suggest posting the Tattler on-line – no hard copies – could post copies for those without computer. Budget for Tattler more than many dept budgets.
- #33 100% increase – mileage we think??
- #52 Revaluation – no budget request but Margaret says they have $12,000 in reval account already
Margaret reported that $913.08 was taken out of reserve funds for attorney fees for a lawsuit regarding zoning Board of Appeals.
Next meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, February 24 at 9:30 a.m. at the Town Hall.
Mira K. Munson, Secretary