Town of Tolland Broadband Committee
Meeting Minutes: September 28, 2012
Draft – To be reviewed and approved at Next Broadband Committee Meeting
Meeting Called to Order: 4:00p.m.
Present: Gloria Gery, Kevin Donovan. Absent: Cathy Parzych.
- Wired West Bylaws have been approved.
- The Massachusetts Attorney General provided Wired West with a ruling that closed sessions may be held when financial or competitive information is being discussed. There is a special meeting law that applies to Municipal Lighting Plants that is different than the Open Meeting Law that applies to most town boards, committees and commissions.
- Kevin Donovan made a presentation to Wired West delegates about our successful strategies for getting response to the Wired West surveys. We have the third highest response rate as of September.
- Mass Broadband continues to install its fiber cable for the middle mile after a temporary delay due to environmental considerations. There is no announced schedule for “lighting up” the fiber.
- Wired West engineering representative, Kevin Cahill, visited Tolland Town Hall and the Public Safety Complex to evaluate potential central off installation sites for equipment. A generator is essential to the installation.
- The initial Wired West survey of Tolland residents about interest in Wired West internet, telephone and television service resulted in a 34% response rate. Our goal is a 50% response. We will contact individuals who have not responded to the request. We will also repost on the website news and notices, the Tattler and work through the various associations/clubs in town.
- Town businesses must be contacted. Gloria and Kevin will contact Timber Trails, Camp Kinderland and Twin Familes campgrounds to obtain detail about their broadband communication needs.
- Wired West will become an internet service provider and each delegate will contact Selectmen to request consideration of Wired West as a provider. Until rates and schedules are announced, we will request that the Tolland Selectmen defer entering into contractual arrangements with for-profit internet providers.
Next Wired West Meetings: Kevin will continue to attend the Wired West meetings as Tolland’s delegate.
Meeting adjourned: 5:30 p.m.
Next meeting date: TBD